This Junior Visiting Fellowships aims to support the research of Ukrainian scholars who are completing or have recently completed their doctoral studies. It offers access to the resources of the Institute for Human Sciences (IWM) in Vienna to younger researchers who have demonstrated exceptional talent to allow them to work on a research project of their own choice. The fellowships are open to all academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. Research proposals related to the mission and research of the IWM are strongly encouraged.
Candidates for the Junior Visiting Fellowship
- must be Ukrainian citizens
- must be enrolled in a doctoral program in the humanities or social sciences or have recently obtained a PhD in the same fields
- must not be older than 35 years
- preference will be given to candidates currently based in Ukraine
Senior Visiting Fellowships in this program are granted by invitation only.
The selected finalists will be invited to spend six months between September 2022 and June 2023 at the IWM to pursue their research projects. Junior Visiting Fellows will receive a stipend of EUR 1,800 per month to cover accommodation, living expenses, travel, health insurance and any incidental costs related to their stay in Vienna.
In addition, the IWM provides fellows with office space, including internet access, in-house research and administrative facilities as well as other services free of charge. The fellows will join the scholarly community and participate in the activities of the Institute.
Applications must be submitted via the online application form and consist of:
- concise project proposal (max. 7.500 characters) that includes:
- a statement of the research question(s)
- a critical assessment of the existing literature
- research goals and expected results/outcome
- brief letter of motivation that addresses:
- how the project would benefit from time at the IWM
- the connection to the IWM’s mission and research
- concrete research/writing goals during the fellowship
- curriculum vitae
- list of publications
- two letters of recommendation by scholars familiar with the applicant’s academic work
All application materials should be in English.
Deadline for Applications:
31 January 2022
The finalists will be selected by a jury of experts. Applicants will be notified of the jury’s decision in April 2022.
The jury is not required to publicly justify its decisions, nor to provide applicants individual feedback on their applications.
Research Director, Ukraine in European Dialogue