Objective and Eligibility
The SEE Graduate Scholarships for students from South-Eastern Europe aim to support exceptionally talented students in need, who are pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree in Vienna. It offers stipends and access to the scholarly community at the Institute for Human Sciences (IWM). The scholarships are open to all academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences.
Applicants for Scholarships:
- must be citizens of one of the following countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey (must not be EU citizens)
- must be enrolled for a master’s or PhD program in the humanities and social sciences at an institution of higher education in Vienna
- have their place of residence in Vienna
- have completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree with excellent results
- do not receive direct or indirect income from other scholarship programs, rent, or capital investment
The selected applicants will be granted a stipend to pursue their academic work from September 2021 to August 2022. Master’s students receive € 1,000 per month, doctoral students € 1,200 per month.
The grantees will not be resident at the IWM. They will join the scholarly community at the Institute by participating in academic events.
Applications must be submitted using our application platform and shall include:
• a curriculum vitae in English (max. 2 double-spaced pages)
• one letter of recommendation by a scholar familiar with the applicant’s academic work
• final certificate from the bachelor’s or master’s degree with proof of performance
• proof of enrolment in a master’s or PhD program in Vienna
• proof of residence in Vienna
• signed declaration on income
• scan of passport
• signed statement that applicant is not an EU citizen
• if a master’s or PhD project is already in progress, a short description (max. 300 words)
Please submit all your application materials as PDF files!
The deadline for applications is 25 May 2021.
Jury and Notification
The grantees will be selected by a jury of experts.
The jury is not required to publicly justify its decisions, nor to provide applicants individual feedback on their applications.
Fellows Program Coordinator