Objective and Eligibility
The SEE Graduate Scholarships for students from South-Eastern Europe aim to support exceptionally talented students in need, who are pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree in Vienna. It offers stipends and access to the scholarly community at the Institute for Human Sciences (IWM). The scholarships are open to all academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences.
Applicants for Scholarships:
- must be citizens of one of the following countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey (must not be EU citizens)
- have their place of residence in Vienna
- must be enrolled for a master’s or PhD program in the humanities and social sciences at an institution of higher education in Vienna (and demonstrate proof of enrolment) for the duration of the scholarship
- have completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree with excellent results.
The selected applicants will be granted a stipend to pursue their academic work from September 2022 to August 2023. Master’s students receive € 1,000 per month, doctoral students € 1,200 per month.
For the duration of the scholarship the selected applicants must not receive direct or indirect income from other scholarship programs, rent, or capital investment.
The grantees will not be resident at the IWM. They are invited to join the scholarly community at the Institute by participating in seminars and academic events at the IWM.
Applications must be submitted using our application platform and shall include:
- a curriculum vitae in English (max. 2 double-spaced pages)
- one letter of recommendation by a scholar familiar with the applicant’s academic work
- final certificate from the bachelor’s or master’s degree with proof of performance
- a short project description (max. 400 words)
- proof of enrolment in a master’s or PhD program in Vienna
- proof of residence in Vienna
- signed declaration on income
- scan of passport
- signed statement that applicant is not an EU citizen.
The deadline for applications is 15 April 2022 (23:59, CEST).
Jury and Notification
The grantees will be selected by a jury of experts.
The jury is not required to publicly justify its decisions, nor to provide applicants individual feedback on their applications.
Fellows Program Coordinator