Call for Applications 2024–2025
Objective and Eligibility
The SEE Graduate Scholarships for students from South-Eastern Europe aim to support exceptionally talented students in need, who are pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree in Vienna. It offers stipends and access to the scholarly community at the Institute for Human Sciences (IWM). The scholarships are open to all academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences.
Applicants for scholarships:
- must be citizens of one of the following countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey (must not be EU citizens)
- have their place of residence in Vienna
- must be enrolled in a master’s or PhD program in the humanities or social sciences at an institution of higher education in Vienna (and demonstrate proof of enrolment) for the duration of the scholarship
- must have completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree with excellent results.
The selected applicants will be granted a stipend to pursue their academic work from September 2024 to August 2025. Master’s students receive € 1,000 per month, doctoral students € 1,200 per month.
For the duration of the scholarship, the selected applicants must not receive direct or indirect income from other scholarship programs, rent, or capital investment.
The grantees will not be resident at the IWM. They are invited to join the scholarly community at the Institute by participating in seminars and academic events at the IWM.
Applications must be submitted through the IWM's online application form; we will be unable to consider applications sent via email.
Application materials consist of the following:
- a brief letter of motivation that addresses how the project would benefit from time at the IWM, the connection to the IWM’s mission and research, and concrete research/writing goals during the fellowship
- a project abstract (max. 550 characters)
- a project proposal (max. 7,500 characters incl. spaces) containing a) a description of the project’s objectives, b) a discussion of the current state of the art, c) methods, and d) a work plan
- a curriculum vitae including a list of publications
- two letters of recommendation from scholars familiar with the applicant’s academic work (has to be submitted by the applicant together with the other application materials)
- final certificate from the bachelor’s or master’s degree with proof of performance
The following documents must be submitted by the start of the scholarships in September 2024 at the latest:
- proof of enrolment in a master’s or PhD program in Vienna
- proof of residence in Vienna
- signed declaration of income
- scan of passport
- signed statement that the applicant is not an EU citizen
All application materials should be in English.
Important! Attached documents must be combined into a single PDF, as the online submission form only allows for one attachment. File names of attachments must use Latin characters.
Applications are now closed.
The finalists will be selected by a jury of experts. Applicants will be notified of the jury’s decision in the spring semester of 2024. The jury is not required to publicly justify its decisions, nor to provide applicants individual feedback on their applications.
Fellowship Program Coordinator