This Junior Visiting Fellowships aim to support the research of Ukrainian scholars who are completing or have recently completed doctoral studies in a Ukrainian institution of higher education. It offers access to the resources of the Institute for Human Sciences (IWM) in Vienna to younger researchers who have demonstrated exceptional talent to allow them to work on a research project of their own choice. The fellowships are open to all academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences (including history). Research proposals related to the mission an research of the IWM are strongly encouraged.
Candidates for the Junior Visiting Fellowship
- must be Ukrainian citizens
- must be enrolled in a doctoral program in the humanities or social sciences or have recently obtained a Ph.D. in the same fields
- must not be older than 35 years
- preference will be given to candidates currently based in Ukraine
Senior Visiting Fellowships in this program are granted by invitation only.
The selected finalists will be invited to spend six months between July 2021 and June 2022 at the IWM to pursue their research projects. Junior Visiting Fellows will receive a stipend of EUR 1,800 per month to cover accommodation, living expenses, travel, health insurance and any incidental costs related to their stay in Vienna.
In addition, the IWM provides fellows with office space, including internet access, in-house research and administrative facilities as well as other services free of charge. The fellows will join the scholarly community and participate in the activities of the Institute.
Applications are now closed.
- a project proposal in English (max. 3 double-spaced pages) outlining:
- the academic problem(s) to be addressed
- the methods to be applied
- the resources to be consulted
- a curriculum vitae in English (max. 2 double-spaced pages)
- a list of publications
- two letters of recommendation by scholars familiar with the applicant’s academic work
Please submit all your application materials as PDF files!
The finalists will be selected by a jury of experts. Applicants will be notified of the jury’s decision in late spring 2021.
The jury is not required to publicly justify its decisions, nor to provide applicants individual feedback on their applications., nor to provide applicants individual feedback on their applications.
Research Director, Ukraine in European Dialogue