The IWM has a long-standing tradition of practical and intellectual solidarity with societies in transition. In its efforts to support Ukrainian civil society and scholarship the Institute has invited numerous fellows from Ukraine in recent decades. Additionally, in 2010 it launched a program for young Ukrainian academics in the field of history; in May 2014 the conference Ukraine: Thinking Together, held in Kyiv, brought together intellectuals and scholars from Ukraine with their counterparts from Western Europe and the US; and the Institute’s journal Transit has published numerous articles on and from Ukraine.
As a prelude to the new project the IWM contributed to the School of Kyiv Biennial which took place in the Ukrainian capital from September 8 to November 1, 2015.
Fellowships & Events
The project Ukraine in European Dialogue includes:
- Andriy Sheptyts’kyi Senior Fellowship for outstanding international scholars in the fields of public ethics, religion and politics
- Junior Fellowships for scholars from Ukraine in history and the social sciences
- Short-term Solidarity Fellowships for notable scholars from Ukraine whose work has been disrupted by war
- Conferences, workshops, lectures, seminars and public discussions at the IWM and in Ukraine (Please find a list of public events at the IWM here.)
- Publications, including focal points in Transit and Eurozine
Timothy Snyder: New Program: “Ukraine in European Dialogue”, in IWMpost 116.
Further project directed by Tatiana Zhurzhenko:
Russia in Global Dialogue