The Jan Patočka Fellowship Program aims to foster research inspired by Jan Patočka’s thought and committed to his legacy. The program is focused on research in policy-related topics. It enables young Czech researchers to work on a project of their own choice. The fellowship is open to all academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. However, applicants’ projects should preferably deal with political and societal issues of European relevance.
Jan Patočka Fellows will be invited to spend 6 months in the academic year 2016/17 at the IWM to pursue their research projects. Senior Visiting Fellows will receive a stipend of EUR 3,800 per month, Junior Visiting Fellows will receive EUR 1,800 per month to cover accommodation, living expenses, travel, health insurance and any incidental costs related to their stay in Vienna.
In addition, the IWM provides the fellows with office space including access to internet, in-house research and administrative facilities as well as other services free of charge. The fellows will join the scholarly community and participate in the activities of the Institute
Candidates for the Jan Patočka Junior Visiting Fellowship:
- must be Czech citizens
- must currently pursue a doctoral degree or have recently obtained a Ph.D. in any discipline in the humanities or social sciences
- must not be older than 35 years
Jan Patočka Senior Visiting Fellowships are granted by invitation only.
Applications have to be submitted via the online application form and should include:
- a concise research proposal in English (max. 8,000 characters incl. spaces) outlining
- the academic problem(s) addressed
- a critical consideration of current relevant literature
- the research goals and expected results
- a work and time schedule (if the duration of the project exceeds the six-month term at the IWM, please indicate which part will be completed during the fellowship)
- a curriculum vitae
- a list of publications
- two letters of recommendation by scholars familiar with the applicant’s academic work
Please submit all your application materials as PDF files!
Deadline for Application:
The deadline for application was March 31, 2016. The next call will be announced in due time.
The finalist will be selected by a jury of experts. Applicants will be notified of the jury decision in summer 2016. The jury is not required to publicly justify its decisions.
Generously supported by